EURO (from 2014)Silver and Gold Euro Coins Coin Sets, KMS 2 Euro Coin Cards
LATS (1992-2013)Collectors Coins Lats Circulation Coins
Get Latest News
Get latest coin news on Facebook.
We Buy Coins
Hansa Cities. Valmiera
Price: € 100.00Add to cart
The Hanseatic city seal with the coat of arms of Valmiera is in the center of the coin's obverse. Its left side reflects an element of St. Simanis' Church interior, while its right part bears some details of the Vidzeme brooch. The year 2003 is inscribed right below the coat of arms. The inscriptions WOLMAR and 1 LATS, each arranged in a semicircle, are respectively above and beneath the central motif.
The coin's reverse is divided into two parts by a water body. At the top of it, there is a silhouette of St. Simanis' Church with the name VALMIERA semi-circled above it on the right. A reflection of the ship of Hanseatic days with semi-circled inscription HANSEATIC CITY below it is at the bottom of the reverse.
The inscriptions LATVIJAS REPUBLIKA (Republic of Latvia) and LATVIJAS BANKA (Bank of Latvia) separated by dots.
This collector coin has been issued within the international coin program Hansa Cities, organized by the Mint of Finland, and is dedicated to Valmiera, one of the eight Hanseatic cities of Latvia.
Modern-day Valmiera is the largest city in Vidzeme, boasting developed industry and commerce; in the 13th century the territories surrounding the modern city formed a part of the District of Talava, which was populated by the Lettgallians. The city was built by an ancient trade route leading along the Gauja River and connecting the Baltic littoral with the lands inhabited by Estonians and Russians.
In the early 13th century, the German invaders started to establish themselves in the northern parts of Latvia. In 1224, Valmiera came under the rule of the Order of the Swordbearers. St. Simanis' Church, built in 1283, and the stone castle of the Order of the Swordbearers with the adjacent settlement of craftsmen and merchants mark the beginning of the city of Valmiera. Though the actual date of Valmiera receiving its city charter is not known, it certainly ranks as one of the oldest Latvian towns.
Valmiera seems to have first been mentioned as a town in a chronicle of 1323, when it was already governed by a magistrate. Valmiera was a member of the Hanseatic League from the 14th till the 16th century. Despite devastation wrought by Russian, Polish and Swedish troops and fire, Valmiera emerged as the district center at the end of the 18th century. The postal route connecting St. Petersburgh and Western Europe went through the city.
Since the mid-18th century, Valmiera was home to several educational establishments where a number of outstanding Latvians, who later excelled in the fields of education and culture, were employed or educated. The Valmiera Teacher Training Seminary established in Riga in 1894 but operating in Valmiera from 1902 to 1917, played an important part in the training of a new generation of educators. At present, Valmiera is the location of Vidzeme University College, which trains specialists in business administration, information technologies, communications and public relations, political science, and tourism management and organisation. The city's professional drama theater stages regular performances, art gallery Laipa is home to attractive exhibitions, and concerts of classical music take place at St. Simanis' Church. Diverse cultural festivals organized on a regular basis draw participants and spectators from across Latvia. International sports competitions of various kinds are held at Stadium named after Janis Dalins.